Mabuhay!
After being away from the Philippines for almost 20 years, it feels good to see familiar faces and places. Most of my neighbors are still the same, just older. There is more concrete and less trees. But the ready smiles of Pinoys are ever present.
I can't wait to swim in the warm waters of our Philippine beaches. We always packed jackets and blankets when we head over to the California shores - HMB, I miss you already!
I can't wait to eat real Philippine mangoes. On the other side of the pond, they would sell Mexican mangoes and claim they were Philippine mangoes. You can't fool a Pinoy!
I can't wait to eat my taho (soft soy with caramelized sugar and tapioca) from the street vendor at the entrance of our village.
I can't wait to eat my churros con chocolate at Dulcinea.
I can't wait to eat my bibingka (rice cake with kesong puti and salted duck egg coal-baked in a banana leaf) and puto bumbong (steamed purple rice) all year round.
I can't wait to drink my gatas ng kalabaw (milk from a water buffalo).
I can't wait to feel the warm rain on my skin.
I can't wait to gaze endlessly at humongous cumulus clouds in the azure sky, hovering over green fields of palay (rice fields).
I can't wait to....explore and experience the Philippines again!
From a local to a tourist and back again.
No comments:
Post a Comment